This isn’t the healthiest French toast recipe out there.
But, it’s delicious, and it’s a great breakfast for a lazy Saturday morning.
The Best French Toast
4 slices wheat bread
4 jumbo eggs
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter, divided into 8 equal pieces
8 large strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp sugar
- Combine the eggs, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Beat with a fork until smooth.
- Combine the sliced strawberries and sugar.
- Heat a griddle on medium-low.
- Using tongs, dredge each slice of bread in the egg mixture, letting it soak about 30 seconds on each side. Remove to plate.
- Heat the oven to warm or 250-degrees. Put two plates in the oven to warm.
- Add one piece of butter to the griddle for each slice of bread that will fit. (I did two at a time.)
- Cook the bread 2-3 minutes a side, until golden brown. Remove the cooked pieces to the warmed oven, add a pat of butter to the top of each.
- Once all the pieces have cooked, remove the plates from the oven (carefully), and top each slice with 1/4 of the strawberries. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
What? Oh yeah. The whole calorie thing. Blame this lady.